This syllabus covers the requirements of the 2010 STCW Convention and Code Chapter VI, Section A-VI/I. Upon meeting the minimum standard of competence in personal survival techniques, a trainee will have adequate training to survive at sea in the event of a ship abandonment:
- Don a life jacket
- Don and use an immersion suit
- Safely jump from a height into the water
- Right an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket
- Swim while wearing a life jacket
- Keep afloat without a life jacket
- Board a survival craft from the ship and water while wearing a life jacket
- Take initial actions on boarding survival craft to enhance the chance of survival
- Steam a drogue or sea-anchor
- Operate survival craft equipment
- Operate location devices including radio equipment
Upon successful completion of the course and demonstration of competence, a certificate may be issued certifying that the holder has met the standards of proficiency specified in Table A- VI/1-1 of STCW 2010.
Such certification may only be issued by centres approved by the administration.
This model course aims to meet the mandatory minimum requirements for seafarers for familiarisation, basic safety training and instruction per section A-VI/1 of the STCW code.
There are no specific entries for the training in this model course. The training is mandatory for all prospective seafarers, who should complete this basic training before being assigned to any shipboard duties.