Those who successfully complete this course should achieve the required standard of competence enabling them to contribute to the enhancement of maritime security through heightened awareness and the ability to recognise security threats to respond appropriately. The outcomes of this course will include but not be limited to:
- The meaning and the consequential requirements of the different security levels
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans
- Recognition and detection of weapons, dangerous substances, and devices
- Recognition, on a non-discriminatory basis, of characteristics and behavioural patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security
- Techniques used to circumvent security measures
Documentary evidence will be issued to those who have successfully completed this course indicating that the holder has completed training in Security Awareness.
This course is intended to provide the knowledge required for seafarers without designated security duties, in connection with a ship security plan (SSP) to enhance ship security following the requirements of Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 as amended, in the ISPS code, and Section A-VI/6-1 of the STCW Code as amended.
Enrolling party needs to be a currently serving seafarers or other shipboard personnel and should are likely not have designated security duties in connection with the ship security plan.